Statistics Of Diabetes Type 2: Startling
Statistics of Diabetes Type 2 disease are startling & illustrate Diabetes Type 2 is a modern epidemic, an inflammatory epidemic, with natural solutions.
- 33% of children today (1 in 3) will become diabetic in their lifetime
- According to the CDC, children today are the first generation whose life expectancy is expected to be shorter than that of its parents
- 2 million Canadians are currently diabetic and in under 10 years, that number is expected to grow to 3 million, a 50% increase.
- In the US, it's more than 10 times that size.
Diabetes Type 2 - Why Is It Happening?
In an ideal or normal situation, the food we consume is digested, with protein, fat and carbohydrates broken down into their basic components of amino acids, fatty acids and glucose, respectively.
In reality, we are far from an ideal world because of the quality and quantity of foods we consume.
For example, did you know that the average North American consumes an extra 500+ calories daily (over 1970 levels, a +25% increase)? And it often includes nutrient poor foods like french fries, cookies, soft drinks, cakes, ice cream, fast foods … not to mention just about all the products in your grocery isles like chemically refined / processed foods with white flour, sugars, high sodium, white rice, etc.
These high glycemic index foods are refined simple carbohydrates that rapidly increase insulin production by the pancreas, so it is not surprising that it now represents the leading cause in the dramatic rise of Type 2 Diabetes.
Type 1 diabetes, which is also called Insulin-Dependent Diabetes, as the pancreas produces very little or virtually no insulin, making daily injections necessary is not the focus of this article.
Type 1 is not typically a lifestyle impacted condition as opposed to Type 2 diabetes, which is also called Adult-Onset Diabetes, so called because it has historically occurred almost exclusively in senior adults.
This moniker is becoming totally obsolete because the most common segment of the population now being diagnosed are between the shocking ages of 15 and 19 years, our children.
Diabetes Type 2 - the fastest-growing disease
90% of all diabetes cases are Type 2. Type 2 is almost completely preventable with proper nutrition, exercise and a
healthy lifestyle, which includes good food choices and where focused assistance
is needed, herbal supplementation.
Type 2 diabetes physically manifests in 2 ways:
- The pancreas has become exhausted and can no longer meet the insulin needs of the body, after going through a period of over-activity.
- The body’s cells no longer know how to use the insulin, thereby manifesting “insulin resistance” – the most common attribute of Type 2 diabetes.
- In the case of carbohydrate digestion, when the end product glucose is released into the bloodstream, a message is sent to the pancreas to release insulin.
- The role of insulin is that of a storage hormone – its job is to move glucose out of the bloodstream and into the cells of the liver and muscles to be Store d for usage at a later time.
- But over time, the pancreas may not be able to produce sufficient insulin, resulting in higher levels of glucose circulating in the bloodstream … these high blood sugar levels are extremely detrimental for a number of reasons, most significantly for the damage that they can cause our cell membranes.
- When cell membranes become damaged from excess blood sugar, they can no longer respond to the insulin that has been secreted, also known as “insulin resistance”.
This perpetual cycle of cells not being flexible enough to respond to insulin means that there can be an overproduction of insulin – also known as hyperinsulinemia – which is the precursor for Type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes and a natural approach with targeted herbal supplements that can help
87% of people purchase over the counter health supplements - that's the good news. Did you know that a natural content of just 10% is enough to label a product natural? In health and beauty products it's just 4%.
We suggest 100% natural is better value for you. Learn why Nature's Sunshine quality comes first ...
You will recognize value in our level of personal natural health care service, support and guidance, the high quality of our all natural plant-based products, the broad selection, the convenience of rapid coast to coast home delivery and many years of experience as a professional holistic health practitioner.
(C) Site Copyright 1994-2018
CCIr, ROHP, RNCP
As one of Canada's top Holistic Natural Health Practitioners (a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Master Herbalist & Clinically Certified Iridologist), Diane and her team of practitioners have helped thousands of people successfully address a wide range of problems naturally from her wellness centres in Mississauga, Ontario (Canada).