Dangers Of Modern Cosmetic Make-Up Products
The dangers of modern cosmetic and makeup products is real and puts new meaning into "If looks could kill" Her typical day might be ...
She turns on the shower and under the steady stream of water, gently scrubs her body with a deodorant soap.
Then she grabs her shampoo and washes her freshly tinted hair. Scoops up a palm full of hair conditioner and applies it to her hair to smooth out the tangles.
Next, she grabs a can of shaving cream and removes the growth of hair from her legs. The shower finished, she towel dries and spreads on an even coat of body lotion and a dusting of powder over her skin.
She brushes her teeth and gargles with mouthwash—blow dries her hair then spritzes with hairspray.
Sitting at her vanity she carefully applies a smidgen of moisturizer over her face to reduce the fine lines. Today, she’ll wear foundation and a little blush. Oh yes, better add some eye shadow for today’s special meeting and a little eye liner and a stroke of mascara.
A dab of lipstick, a blast of perfume and a little sunscreen on her arms and she is set for the day.
She looks radiant and healthy but…her looks are killing her
Let’s take a look at what this woman’s particular brands of cosmetic and makeup products have exposed her to in a matter of minutes.
- The deodorant soap has a pH of 9, which removes the protective acid mantle of the skin making it more alkaline and therefore, more vulnerable to penetration. It also contains ammonia, formaldehyde and phenol, which are known carcinogens and triclocarban, which is under suspicion of being a cancer causing agent with daily use.
- Her shampoo contains cocamide DEA, which is associated with carcinogenic nitrosamines and sodium lauryl sulfate, a known mutagen.
- The hair tint contains quaternium-15, which releases carcinogenic formaldehyde and the carcinogen, phenylenediamine.
- The conditioner contains methylisothiaolinone, an ingredient that is mutagenic and is presently being evaluated as cancer-causing.
- The shaving cream contains a-pinene, a chemical that damages the immune system.
- Her body lotion contains mineral oil, which, as a cosmetic grade petroleum product, includes the contaminant polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PHAs) known as xenoestrogens that can mimic estrogen in the body.
- The dusting powder contains talc, a substance like asbestos. When talc was combined with a common air pollutant, benzo(a)pyrene, it induced tumors in 80% of the animals tested.
- The toothpaste contains saccharin and FD&C Blue#1, which are carcinogens. It also contains resorcinol, which can cause a blood disorder (methemoglobinemia), convulsions and death.
- The mouthwash contains 27% ethanol, which is suspected of causing esophageal cancer. It also contains phenol, which can cause fatal poisonings through skin absorption.
- The hairspray contains polyvinylpyrrolidine (PVP) and reports show that it may cause harm if the particles are inhaled. Modest intravenous doses fed to rats caused tumors.
- The moisturizer contains phenol carbolic acid, which can cause circulatory collapse, paralysis, convulsions, coma and death as a result of respiratory failure. It also contains PEG-40, which contains dangerous levels of dioxin and propylene glycol, which studies show can negatively alter brain waves and cause liver and kidney disorders.
- Her blush contains FD&C Red #3, which caused human breast cells to grow, mimics the effect of natural estrogen at the molecular level and damages the genetic material of human breast cells.
- The eyeshadow contains iron oxide, which although deemed safe by the FDA for use in the eye area, is a suspected carcinogen, teratogen or toxin. The eyeliner, contains ascorbyl palmitate, and studies suggest that the palmitates are to be considered carcinogenic, mutagenic, or toxic.
- The mascara may be contaminated with bacteria. Is also contains polyvinylpyrrolide (PVP), a carcinogen.
- The lipstick contains paraffin, which is a mixture of hydrocarbons and is derived from petroleum. It is known to be contaminated with the carcinogens, benzo-a-pyrene and benzo-b-fluroanthene.
- The perfume contains toluene, a suspected potent carcinogen that was found in every fragrance tested, and benzaldehyde, which is a central nervous system depressant that may cause kidney damage.
- The sunscreen contains padimate O and the preservative, BNPD, which together create the carcinogenic nitrosamine, NMPABAO.
This article raises valid concerns on the chemicals found in every day articles. The concern should not stop there as our foods are subject to a vast array of pesticides, genetic engineering and chemical additives.
From The Cosmetic Health Report Newsletter by Judi Vance.
Natural Organic Skin Care Products
Be good to your skin, naturally!
Skin Essence Organics are made in Canada and you can be assured you are applying only the finest, most pure ingredients.
Enjoy healthy radiant skin that not only looks and feels beautiful, because skin is the immune systems first line of defense, you'll gain vital protection against pathogens, better regulated body temperature, improved synthesizes of Vitamins B and D and minimize the evaporation of important body fluids.