The Dangers Of Too Much Sugar
Westerners consume too much sugar and it's concerning to note that it may pose a danger for health risks when consumption exceeds certain norms
In the past 200 years or so, sugar consumption has risen by over 1,500%. Sugar was once a rare luxury treat available to the very rich but today it's become a significant part of the Western diet and we’re hooked.
This rise in sugar consumption is primarily based on the availability of modern, fast, convenient and highly processed foods and interestingly, this rise correlates with the dramatic rise of illness across the population, and at much younger ages.
Type-2 Diabetes was once a mid-life disease, now its rising fastest in our teenagers and the obesity situation continues to grow, even in the very young.
Sugar is a short-term fix of both energy and pleasure but with sugar everywhere; perhaps it's time to ask an important question.
How is it we have developed such advanced technology in our western society while at the same time managed to allow an explosion of excess weight/obesity, allergies, type-2 diabetes, chronic fatigue, pain, premature aging and so on?
Are we manufacturing products that are making us ill and creating still more products which mask the symptoms of our illness as opposed to getting and staying well?
Hazards In Our Chemically Engineered Foods, Sugars & Sweeteners
If you are purchasing processed foods of any type, it is virtually unavoidable that among the many highly undesirable ingredients, you will be ingesting a high concentration of nutritionally vacant sugar.
The human body does require sugar, the kind best delivered in small amounts from fresh foods, but it simply was not built to cope with and process these “vacant food” products.
And what about those highly marketed Sugar Free “Diet” products advertised everywhere? Most people are just now becoming aware that these artificial sweeteners are hazardous toxins to be avoided entirely and in fact, studies are now pointing to increased health risks that exceed those of sugar.
We may be technically clever at breaking down plants into small synthetic chemical elements, but the human body is many orders of magnitude more complex and it successfully evolved over tens of thousands of years by primarily consuming easily digested live whole plant foods rich in a broad range of nutritionally complex nutrients and natural sugars and the somewhat rare catch of game.
The general overuse of sugars is being linked to our declining physical and mental health and there is no lack of debate and clinical study on the topic of sugar and sweeteners yet our grocery Store s remain very well stocked with more and more nutritionally vacant sugar laden products.
During WWI and WWII while sugar was rationed, the incidence of diabetes decreased drastically. **
In 1991, Singapore banned sugary soft drink sales from all schools and youth center's, citing the danger that sugar poses to mental and physical health.
- In Sugar Blues, William Dufty writes; “The difference between sugar addiction and narcotic addiction is largely one of degree.”
- In a recent study conducted by Dr. C. Keith Connors of the Children's Hospital in Washington, DC, a 'deadly' link was established between the consumption of sugar with carbohydrates (such as breakfast cereal, cake, and biscuits) and violent behaviour, hypertension, and learning impediments. Source: Daniel Reid
- Sugar can suppress your immune system and impair your defenses against infectious disease. Source: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Nov 19731,2
- Sugar can cause a rapid rise of adrenaline, hyperactivity, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, and crankiness in children. Source: Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology.1986 3, 4
- Sugar causes a loss of tissue elasticity and function. Source: Scientific American. May 1987 5
- Sugar is an addictive substance. Source: American Psychological Society, Toronto, June 2001 6
- German researchers have identified that intelligence, measured in terms of the mental capacity to think, reason and memorize is significantly reduced when sugar is consumed.
It should be no surprise to learn that the WHO/10% recommendation has not been welcomed by the sugar manufacturers, their advocates or the American Government. Sugar is very big business indeed.
Refined Sugar Is An Industrially Processed Chemical
Sucrose is the white crystalline sugar refined from cane or beet juice which is stripped of virtually all vitamins, minerals, protein, fibre and water. This is refined sugar, is an industrially processed chemical not found naturally in nature and not recognized as a source of food by the human body. It has a shelf life of years, which in itself, should be considered unnatural for a food.
Be it white, yellow or brown, it has no resemblance to the more nutritionally sensible and natural versions produced by boiling down whole cane juice. Raw Cane Sugar is becoming a widely available and as a great replacement for refined sugar, still use sparingly.
It’s interesting to note that in locations where sugar cane is cultivated, people chewing “whole sugar cane” get fewer or no cavities.
Health Risks To Know About
- Dangers of Modern Cosmetic Make Up Products (If Looks Could Kill)
- Lactose Intolerance & Health Risks | Is Dairy Making You Sick
- Hazards Of Your Top 10 Most Popular Foods
- 76 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health
(C) Site Copyright 1994-2020
CCIr, ROHP, RNCP
As one of Canada's top Holistic Natural Health Practitioners (a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Master Herbalist & Clinically Certified Iridologist), Diane and her team of practitioners have helped thousands of people successfully address a wide range of problems naturally from her wellness centres in Mississauga, Ontario (Canada).